b.bef.1584 of Plymouth, Devonshire, England
- John Libby b.Nov. 11, 1610
Return to Libby Index
b.Nov. 11, 1610 St. Andrews, Plymouth, England [or abt.1602 Broadstairs, Isle of Thanet, Kent, England], s/o John Lybbye
d.Feb. 9, 1682 Scarborough, ME
m.(1)April 27, 1635 at Lanlivery; Judith ________
m.(2)ca.1662 at Scarborough, ME Mary ______
d.Sept. 19, 1678
CHILDREN included [all b.Scarborough, ME]:
- John Libby b.April 27, 1636/7 England d.aft.1719-1720 Scarborough, ME m.ca.1668 Agnes _____
CHILDREN of John and Agnes included (seven sons):
- John b.1665 d.1751 m.Eleanor Kirke
- Daniel Libby b.abt.1678 d.bef.June 12, 1712 He was a Carpenter. m.Elizabeth Kirke (sister to Eleanor) she m.(2)Nov. 10, 1724 Daniel Meder
CHILDREN of John and Eleanor included:
- Elizabeth m.Seth Ring
- James b.1700 d.Feb. 18, 1776 m.Mary Furber
- John b.1702 d.1767 m.Mary Miller
CHILDREN of John and Mary included:
- Phebe b.May 12, 1728 m.Joseph Martin
- Benjamin b.July 28, 1730 d.1759
- Eleanor b.Aug. 20, 1732 m.(1)Benjamin Sallis m.(2)John Milliken
- Jonathan b.Feb. 5, 1735 d.Aug. 19, 1760 m.Hannah Hunnewell d/o Lt. Richard Hunnewell and Hannah Brown
- Jotham b.April 5, 1737 d.1825 m.Oct. 29, 1761 Catherine Skillings d/o Edward Skillings and Sarah Miller
- Abigail b.Dec. 18, 1739 m.June 15, 1758 John Haskell
- Lydia b.June 5, 1743 m.Jan. 10, 1760 Joseph Knight
- Joab b.Sept. 13, 1745 d.April 17, 1781 m.Susannah Lombardi
- Josiah b.Sept. 13, 1745 d.Jan. 15, 1826 m.March 16, 1778 Sarah Libby d/o Allison Libby and Sarah Skillings
CHILDREN of Josiah and Sarah included:
- Alexander b.Aug. 6, 1778 m.Elizabeth Libby d/o Ichabod Libby and Mary Fickett
- Allison b.Oct. 24, 1781 m.(1)Lucy Libby d/o Lemuel Libby & Mehitable Bragdon m.(2)Hannah Libby d/o Lemuel Libby and Mehitable Bragdon
- Joab b.April 17, 1783 d.Oct. 7, 1827 m.Sarah Jones d/o William Jones and Hannah Libby
CHILDREN of Joab and Sarah included:
- Miriam b.Jan. 26, 1809 d.Nov. 26, 1811
- John b.Sept. 7, 1811 d.June 1829
- Cyrus Jones b.Nov. 8, 1813 m.Delinsa Douglass [13 children]
- Sarah Ann b.Aug. 19, 1817 m.Levi Libby
- George Washington b.Nov. 23, 1819 m.Sarah J. Thrasher
- William Jones b.March 31, 1822 d.April 26, 1864 m.May 29, 1845 Mary Ann Libby
- Harriet b.Aug. 29, 1824 d.Dec. 17, 1832
- Miriam Jane b.Aug. 10, 1827 d.July 1848
- Abraham b.July 1, 1785 m.(1)Eunice Tyler m.(2)Mary Brown
- Sally b.Sept. 6, 1787 m.May 11, 1825 John G. Crocker
- Mary b.Sept. 10, 1789 m.April 4, 1827 m.Samuel McIntier
- John b.Nov. 7, 1789 m.(1)Miriam Libby d/o Mattias Libby and Esther Libby m.(2)Abigail Grace m.(3)Martha Moss
- Elizabeth b.Oct. 7, 1793 d.Dec. 8, 1833
- Josiah b.Dec. 10, 1795 m.(1)Abigail Moody m.(2)Mary (Palmer) Shackford
- Hanson b.Dec. 21, 1797 m.Lydia Lake
- Salome b.Feb. 11, 1800 m.Oct. 27, 1829 Eaton Nichols
- Mary b.June 4, 1749 d.Dec. 8, 1818 m.Feb. 12, 1767 m.(1)Feb. 12, 1767 Edward Libby s/o Lt. Andrew Libby & Esther Furber m.(2)Allison Libby s/o John and Sarah Libby
- Eleanor b.1704 d.Jan. 3, 1799 m.Joseph Fogg [s/o Daniel Fogg and Hannah Libby]
- Jonathan b.1706 d.Oct. 28, 1759 m.Martha Hasty
- Josiah b.1715 Portsmouth, NH d.Feb. 2, 1751 m.March 23 1737 Anna Small
CHILDREN of Josiah and Anna included:
- Lucy b.Nov. 25, 1739 m.Thomas Milliken
- Jane b.1742 m.Nov. 26, 1761 Elisha Berry
- Joel b.1744 d.1760
- Josiah Libby, Mjr. b.Feb. 16, 1746 d.March 1, 1824 m.Feb. 28, 1769 Eunice Libby Children of this marriage are listed under Eunice entry. [d/o John Libby and Anna Fogg] m.(2)Elizabeth (Parcher) Foss. m.(3)June 19, 1810 Mary (Chase) Jones m.(4)Hannah Plaisted [d/o Samuel Plaisted and Elizabeth Libby]
CHILDREN of Josiah and Elizabeth included:
- Cyrus Libby b.Oct. 15, 1778 m.Lois Libby [d/o Seth Libby and Lydia Jordan]
- Daniel Libby b.Jan. 20, 1780 m.Rebecca Libby
- Eunice Libby b.1783 d.Dec. 3, 1805
- Caroline Libby m.Oct. 18, 1804 Stephen Harmon
CHILD of Josiah and Hannah:
- Elizabeth Libby b.Nov. 2, 1777 m.Joseph Foss
- Phineas Libby b.July 22, 1749 d.July 17, 1798 m.Sarah Libby [d/o Enoch Libby and Elizabeth Plummer]
- Anna Libby b.Sept. 4, 1751 m.Jeremiah Libby
- Joseph Libby b.abt.1670 m.Rebecca _______
- Samuel Libby b.abt. 1674 m.Sarah Wells
- James Libby b.abt. 1676 d.1754 m.(1)Mary Hanson m.(2)Elizabeth ________
- Daniel Libby b.abt.1678 d.bef.June 1712 m.Elizabeth Kirke
- Benjamin Libby b.June 4, 1682 d.Nov. 9, 1768 m.Sarah Stone
- Jeremiah Libby b.1689 d.1766 m.Lydia Badger
- James Libby b.1638 d.1676/7 Scarborough, ME [King Philip's War]
- Joanna Libby b.1640 d.bef.1740 Scarborough, ME m.Thomas Bickford
- Samuel Libby b.1641 d.July 9, 1677 Boston, MA [King Philip's War]
- Henry Libby b.1647/8 d.Oct. 21, 1732 Lynn, MA m.Honor Hickson
CHILDREN of Henry and Honor included:
- Mary Libby m.Jan. 18, 1715 at Marblehead, MA Richard Webber
- Samuel Libby b.July 6, 1689 d.Jan. 1, 1770 m.(1)Abigail Merserve m.(2)Mary Jones
- Sarah Libby d.March 1, 1723
- James Libby m.March 16, 1788 Abigail Larrabee
CHILDREN of James and Abigail included:
- Joanna Libby bapt. May 27, 1744 It may have been she that married Isaac Myrick, 4 June. 1764.
- Hannah Libby [twin] bapt.May 3, 1847
- Susannah Libby [twin] bapt. May 3, 1847
- Priscilla Libby bapt.May 19, 1751
- Hannah Libby d.shortly after the birth of her dau., m.Dec. 15, 1720 in Marblehead John Pollow
CHILD of Hannah and John:
- Hannah Pollow. It seems she lived with her grandfather Libby and her uncle Samuel. She married Joshua Brown, and d.Aug. 21, 1810.
- Elizabeth Libby m.March 16, 1727 Sampson Plummer
CHILDREN of Elizabeth and Sampson included:
- Elizabeth Plummer b.Feb. 27, 1728
- James Plummer b.Sept. 29, 1730
- Jeremiah Plummer b.June 16, 1733
- Joseph Plummer b.Feb. 8, 1735
- John Plummer bapt.March 1737 d.y.
- Jonathan Plummer b.Oct. 20, 1739
- Samuel Plummer b.Sept. 16, 1742 m.Sarah Bragdon
- Phebe Plummer b.Sept. 29, 1744 m.Benj. Small
- Hannah Plummer b.June 15, 1747 m.Thomas Libby
- John Libby, Capt. b.abt.1700 m.(1)June 15, 1728 Mary Goodwin m.(2)Aug. 24, 1738 Anna Fogg m.(3)Lydia (Skillings) Libby
CHILDREN of John and Mary included:
- Henry Libby b.Oct. 6, 1729
- Hannah Libby b.March 4, 1731 m.John Fogg
- Lucy Libby b.June 1735
- Edward Libby b.June 21, 1736
CHILDREN of John and Anna included:
- Rhoda Libby b.July 4, 1739
- Abner Libby b.July 4, 1739 m.Lucy Hunnewell
- Olive Libby b.Feb. 6, 1741
- Stephen Libby b.Jan. 13, 1743 d.Aug. 24, 1820 m.Margaret Miller
- Moses Libby b.March 18, 1745
- Aaron Libby b.March 18, 1745 d.May 1798 m.Elizabeth Weeman
- Jesse Libby b.March 1747 d.abt.1822 m.Keziah March [d/o Samuel March and Anna Libby]
- Philemon Libby b.May 29, 1749 m.May 8, 1771 Martha Small
- Eunice Libby b.Oct. 22, 1752 d.March 23, 1776 m.Feb. 28, 1769 m.Maj.Josiah Libby [s/o of Josiah Libby and Anna Small]
CHILDREN of Eunice and Josiah included:
- Anna Libby b.May 19 1770 m.Elias Foss
- Rhoda Libby b.June 17, 1772 m.March 2, 1791 David Tyler
- Phineas Libby b.March 18, 1774 d.Dec. 20,1801 West Indies m.Mary Merserve
- Joseph Libby b.March 16, 1776 d.ca.1854 m.(1)Sept. 27, 1798 Elizabeth Libby [d/o Simon Libby and Elizabeth Thompson] m.(2)Abigail (Rice) Shaw
- Seth Libby b.May 1, 1755 d.Dec. 9, 1836 m.Lydia Jordan
CHILD of John and Lydia:
- Nathan Libby b.Aug. 16, 1766 d.Feb.11, 1829 m.(1)Abigail Davis m.(2)_____ _____
- Anthony Libby b.1649 d.Feb. 28, 1718 Greenland, NH m.(1)Sarah Drake of Hampton, NH m.(2)Jan. 6, 1717/18 Jane Rackley of Portsmouth, NH
CHILDREN of Anthony and Sarah included:
- Sarah Libby m.June 18, 1701 Israel Smith of Hampton
- Mary Libby m.March 7, 1709 John Lane of Hampton
- Abraham Libby m.Sabina Philbrick
- Isaac Libby m.Mary ______
- Hannah Libby
- Jacob Libby b.May 25, 1695 m.Sarah Marston
- Jane Libby b.Aug. 5, 1700 m.May 9, 1720 Deacon Abraham Moulton of Hampton, afterward of Kensington
- Rebecca Libby b.1651 d.aft.1732 Portsmouth, NH m.Joshua Brown s/o Andrew Brown and brother of brother Matthew's wife
CHILDREN of Rebecca and Joshua:
- Andrew Brown m.Susannah ______
- Sarah Brown m.William Libby
- Charles Brown
- Samuel Brown
- Hannah Brown
- Mary Brown
- Ephraim Brown
- Sarah Libby b.1653/4 d.aft.Jan. 1729 m.(1)Robert Tidy of Scarborough m.(2)Richard Rogers of Eliot m.(3)Christopher Banfield of Kittery
CHILDREN of Sarah and Robert included:
- John Tidy d.Jan. 10, 1766 m.Hannah d/o John Morrell of Kittery
CHILDREN of John and Hannah included:
- Sarah Tidy b.Jan. 17, 1714 m.______ Stacey
- Edah Tidy b.Jan. 22, 1716 m._______Emery
- Hannah Tidy b.July 6, 1718 d.abt.1799 unm.
- Robert Tidy b.Oct. 12, 1720 m.Hannah ______. Both died by May 1790. No children.
- Meribah Tidy b.Sept. 12, 1722 died without issue
- John Tidy b.June 29, 1724 d.1749 unm.
- Elizabeth Tidy m.Jan. 8, 1708 John Withan of York
- Hannah Tidy m.Daniel Witham of Kittery
- Mary Tidy m.______ Brown
- Mary Libby b.1654 d.1677 m.John Slaughter
- David Libby b.1657 d.Dec. 24, 1736 Kittery, ME m.1690 Eleanor ______
CHILDREN of David and Eleanor included:
- David Libby d.1765 m.Esther Hanscom
- Samuel Libby b.ca.1690[ME gen.& Biograher, VOL III-1877-8, page 57; says he was born July 7, 1714] m.Mary Libby
- Mary Libby m.April 12, 1722 Joseph Small
- Solomon Libby b.ca.1695 d.1756 m.Martha Hanscom
- John Libby b.ca.1697 d.bet.1761-1764 m.(1)Nov. 14, 1724 his cousin, Sarah Libby m.(2)Jan. 9, 1755 Deborah (Larrabee) Mills Cummings Donovan
- Elizabeth Libby m.Sept.1738 Edward Cloudman of Biddeford. A possible second marriage for her may be listed in Biddeford: Abraham Townsend and Elizabeth Libbe, both of Biddeford, married 17 Nov. 1748.
- Ephraim Libby b.Feb. 2, 1702 d.in the winter of 1776/77 m.1728 Mary Ambler
- Eleanor Libby b.June 21, 1705 m.(1)Zebulon Trickey m.(2)Lt. Andrew Libby, her cousin
- Abigail Libby b.Sept. 29, 1707 m.Nov. 1725 Richard Nason
- Abigail Libby b.1659 d.bef.1736 m.John Fickett
- Matthew Libby b.1663 Scarborough, d.March 11, 1740 m.Elizabeth Brown
- Hannah Libby b.1663/65 d.1733 Kittery, ME m.Daniel Fogg s/o Samuel Fogg of Hampton NH
CHILDREN of Hannah and Daniel included:
- Hannah Fogg m.May 21. 1704 John Rogers
- Mary Fogg m.Aug. 11, 1709 Wm. Brooks
- Rebecca Fogg m.1726 Joseph Pilsbury
- Sarah Fogg m.Jan. 1, 1815 Thomas Hanscom
- Daniel Fogg b.April 12, 1694 m.Anna Hanscom
- John Fogg m.Mary Hanscom
- Joseph Fogg m.(1)Jan. 13, 1725 Sarah Hill m.(2)Elieanor Libby. [no issue]
- Seth Fogg b.Dec. 1701 in Eliot, m.Mary Pickernale
- James Fogg b.March 17, 1704 m.Elizabeth Fernald
- Daniel Libby b.ca.1657/1665 d.Feb. 23, 1687 Marblehead, MA m.Feb. 23, 1687 Mary Ashton d/o John and Susannah (Foxwell) Ashton
CHILDREN of Daniel and Mary included:
- Daniel m.in Marblehead Jan. 22, 1714 Abigail Martin [one dau.Mary b.Nov. 11, 1715 m.July 24, 1730 Wm. Babens]
- Sarah m.in Marblehead Oct. 28, 1721 Chas. Dennis
- Hepsibah bapt. Jan. 23, 1708 Marblehead, MA
- Beulah bapt. Jan. 23, 1703 m.May 22, 1727 John Williams
NOTE: From Pioneers of Maine and New Hampshire 1623-1660 by POPE p.126-127: LIBBY, LIBBEE, LEBBY, LYBY, LYBBY, LIBY, John, Richmond Island, was in the fishing company of John Winter from 15 Dec. 1636 to Feb. 13, 1639. Worked for him again 6 weeks in 1643. Some money was paid for him to Mr. John Sparke by Mr. Trelawney. He titled at Scarborough, bought land of Joceln 1 Jan 1663. He suffered in the Indian War of 1676. He deposed July 10, 1677, ae. about 75 yrs, that he came to this country 47 years before; that his 4 sons had kept himself, his wife and 8 small children from want, but that the enemy [Indians-7 Sept. 1676]had burned their houses and destroyed cattle and corn; that one of his four sons had lately been killed at Black Point, another wounded, had since died, and the other two were at B.P. He asked that the latter might be discharged from the garrison, having served there the extraordinary period of nine months. Signed "John Liby". The petition was granted, and Henry and Anthony released.
In his will, unsigned and undated, he beq. 5 shillings apiece to each of his children; 50 shillings each to the younger sons, Matthew and Daniel. The wife to have all the estate at her deposing, to maintain the children. Inventory taken 9 Feb. 1682; attested 5 May 1683. [York De. V]
John came on the Hercules bringing ship's letters dated 30 Nov. 1636 and arriving at Richmond Island 13 Feb. 1636/7. John Settled near "Libby's common landing place" at Anthony's hole near the eastern point of the "Old Neck" in Scarborough.
From The Libby Family in America, 1602-1881 by Charles T. Libby, 1882: In July 1677, he stated that, "the good and pious report that was spread abroad, into our Native Land of this country, caused your Petitioner to come for this Land 47 years ago, where he hath ever since continued." According to this the year of his immigration...was probably a slight exaggeration.
From Directory of Ancestral Heads of New England Families 1620-1700 by Holmes: JOHN, b.Eng. about 1602; came from Broadstairs, in the Isle of Thanet, County Kent, England, th N.E. Between 1630-35. He went to Maine and was granted land at Scarborough before 1640.
Return to Libby Index
b.1663 Scarborough, ME s/o John and Mary Libby
d.March 11, 1740 Eliot, ME
m.ca.1675/1689 Elizabeth Brown
b.1666 d/o Andrew Brown
d.1743 Scarborough, ME
CHILDREN included [the first 6 b. Scarborough ME, the rest in Kittery]:
- William Libby b.1688 m.Nov. 11, 1722 Sarah Brown
CHILDREN of William and Sarah included:
- William b.abt.1723 d.y.
- Noah b.abt.1725 d.unm.
- Mary b.abt.1727 d.in girlhood.
- Hezekiah b.April 5, 1729 unm. d.Oct. 27, 1798. he always lived on father's homestead. He and his sister Elizabeth kept house together. They took their sister Sarah's children to bring up, and, in old age, gave their property to Nathan Libby, who married Abigail, to support them until death.
- Susannah b.abt.1731 d.y.
- Elizabeth b.May 9, 1733 d.Dec. 31, 1818 unm. She always lived in her father's house, first with Hezekiah, and then with Nathan Libby.
- Mehitable b.Nov. 17, 1735 d.y.
- Sarah b.May 10, 1737 m.July 31, 1766 Michael Davis, from Canterbury, MA. She died early in life, and Davis m. again and lived in Lewiston.
CHILDREN of Sarah and Michael [brought up by Hezekiah and Elizabeth]:
- Abigail Davis b.abt.1767 m.Nathan Libby
- Sarah Libby Davis b.abt.1769 d.unm.
- Mary Davis d.Sept. 3, 1810 unm.
- William b.Nov. 12, 1740 d.in middle age, unm.
- Matthew Libby b.1690 d.March 1740/41 m.Sept. 3, 1730 Mary Nason
CHILDREN of Matthew and Mary:
- Jerusha b.March 3, 1731 d.early in marriage leaving no children. m.Nov. 30, 1762 Benj. Staples
- Matthew b.Feb. 2, 1733 m.Lydia Libby
- Zebulon b.Nov. 1737 m.Sarah Milliken
- Azariah b.1740 m.Elizabeth Paul
- William b.Jan. 30, 1749 m.Elizabeth Clark
- Mary Libby b.1693 d.Jan. 1774 m.Samuel Libby, her cousin
- Rebecca Libby b.1694 m.Jan. 21, 1723 Thomas Musset [she not listed in Massachusetts and Maine Families in the Ancestry of Walter Goodwin Davis]
- Hannah Libby b.1697 d.bef.1787 m.Jan. 1722 Samuel Hanscom
- John Libby b.1697/8 d.July 1, 1764 or Oct. 7, 1756 ?? m.Jan. 1, 1734 Keziah Hubbard; They had a negro slave whose name was Sambo--Called Sambo Libby. It is still told how he used to the Nonesuch River. He would lower himself into the river on one side and in two or three minutes, having crawled across on the bottom of the river, would appear climbing up the opposite bank.
CHILDREN of John and Keziah:
- Anna b.Nov. 17, 1734 m.Col. Samuel March
- Peter b.March 8, 1736 m.(1)Ruth Libby m.(2)Anna Lazzel
- Keziah b.Sept. 14, 1738 m.Dec. 20, 1759 Jonathan Mitchell
- Richard b.May 28, 1741 m. three times
- Thomas b.March 23, 1743 m.(1)Hannah Plummer m.(2)Dorcas (Fogg) Ring [both of Libby blood]
- Jane b.June 25, 1746 d.June 13, 1766 unm.
- Andrew Libby [Lt.] b.at Kittery; Dec. 1 [or 2], 1700 d.Jan. 5, 1773 m.(1)Apr. 7, 1731 Esther Furber m.(2)Eleanor (Libby) Trickey, his cousin
CHILDREN of Andrew and Esther included:
- Andrew b.Feb. 13, 1732 m.Miriam Burns
- Joshua b.Mar. 17, 1734 m.Hannah Larrabee
- Elizabeth b.April 28, 1736 m.Samuel Plaisted
- Henry b.1737 d.in infancy
- Abigail b.Nov. 5, 1738 m.(1)John Dam m.(2)Thomas Jackson
- Joseph b.Jan. 6, 1740 m.Sarah Merserve
- Daniel b.Dec. 22, 1742 m.Dorothy Hasty
- Edward b.April 10, 1743 m.Mary Libby
- Sarah b.1746 d. in infancy
- Esther b.Dec. 16, 1750 d.y.
- Simon b.June 7, 1752 m.Elizabeth Thompson
- Sarah Libby b.Sept. 7, 1702 d.bef.Jan. 9, 1755 m.Nov. 14, 1724 John Libby
- Nathaniel Libby b.Nov. 2, 1704 d.1761 m.(1)Oct. 11, 1730 Kittery, ME Miriam Knight m.(2)Nov. 16, 1757 Hannah (Tobey) Staples. He was the father of thirteen children, but only four survived him. It is said he lost six of the thirteen, in one week, by a throat distemper.
CHILDREN of Nathaniel and Miriam:
- Nathaniel b.abt.1731 d.y.
- Susannah b.abt.1733 d.y.
- Miriam b.abt.1735 m.Jan. 24, 1779 Ephraim Goodwin
- Stephen b.abt.1736 d.y.
- Nathaniel b.abt.1738 m.(1)Elizabeth Fogg and (2)Eleanor Johnson
- ______ b.abt.1740 d.y.
- Stephen b.abt.1741 m.(1)Alice Guptil m.(2)Hannah Young
- Zebulon b.abt.1742 m.Sarah Brackett
- John b.abt.1744 d.y.
- Susannah b.abt.1747 d.y.
- Reuben b.abt.1749 d.y.
- Mary b.abt.1751 d.y.
- Hannah b.abt.1752 d.y.
- Dorcus Libby b.Feb. 2, 1706 d.April 23, 1742 m.June 24, 1729 James Staples
- Samuel Libby b.June 5, 1709 d.1788 m.Jan. 12, 1736 Margaret Rogers
CHILDREN of Samuel and Margaret included:
- Samuel b.abt.1736 d.y.
- Lydia b.abt.1737 m.Matthew Libby
- Elizabeth b.ab.t1739 m.July 30, 1761 Jonathan Hanscom
- Hannah b.abt.1741 m.March 6, 1796 Benj. Staples
- Samuel b.Jan. 18, 1743 m.Mary Staples
- Seth b.Feb. 15, 1745 m.Mary Jenkins
- Anne b.Feb. 6, 1747 d.y.
- Sarah b.June 19, 1750 m.as second wife June 11, 1780 Elisha Hammond
- Mary m.June 24, 1776 Elisha Hammond, before mentioned
- Mehitable [Margaret] Libby b.March 14, 1711 Kittery, ME m.Aug. 2, 1733/4 at Kittery Daniel Knight
- Lydia Libby b.Apr. 27, 1710/1713 d.bef.1738 m.Oct. 17, 1730 Benjamin Stacy
- Elizabeth Libby b.June 1714 m.Nov. 26, 1734 John Smith Jr. of Berwick; m.int.Sept. 2, 1738 Edward Chapman of Kittery
NOTES: Matthew hired Cutt's farm in Portsmouth and then moved to Scarborough. In 1690 when Scarborough was deserted he moved back to Portsmouth. He then went to Kittery in the winter of 1699-1700 where Dec. 1669, he, his brother David, their brother-in-law Fogg, Joseph Hammond, and Stephen Tobey purchased the "Bay lands" on the river bank now in Eliot building his garrison house on Libby Hill.
Before the second organization of the town of Scarborough he with Roger Deering, John Libby Jr., and Roger Hunnenwell build a saw mill at Black Point on the Nonesuch River a short distance above the Congregational Church. They ran it only a short time and gave it to their sons.
Matthew Libby of Kittery, Yeoman gave to his son William Libby late of Kittery now of Scarborough all his lands in Scarborough including:"a grant from ye Selectmen of Scarborough aforesd of six acres of upland more of less bearing Date ffebry ye 5th 1684...beginning at the River...also one other grant from ye sd Selectmen of Scarborough aforsd of five acres...at ye Higher End of ye Clay Pit..."signed by Mathew Libbey 17 May 1720. Matthew then relacated permanently in Eliot. [York Deeds Vol.14, p 142]
Family data from: , by Charles T. Libby, 1882.
A Doleful Slaughter Near Black Point - The Battle at Moore's Brook by Sumner Hunnewell, published in The Maine Genealogist May and Aug. 2003.
Return to Libby Index
Return to Surname List
Return to Helene's Home Page
This page last updated on May 9, 2015